Mobi Groups
Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

GothicGirls - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* GothicGirls > Topics

Subject: Edvard Munch
Replies: 0 Views: 1439

mercury9 4.10.11 - 08:03pm
Edvard Munch, pro nounced Monk, (Born 12 December 1863, Died 23 January 1944) was a Norwegian Symbolist painter, printmaker and an important forerunner of expressionist art. His best-known composition, The Scream, is part of a series The Frieze of Life, in which Munch explored the themes of love, fear, death, melancholia, and anxiety. Painted in 1893, The Scream is Munch's most famous work and one of the most recognizable paintings in all art. It has been widely interpreted as representing the universal anxiety of modern man. Painted with broad bands of garish colour and highly simplified forms, and employing a high viewpoint, the agonized figure is reduced to a garbed skull in the throes of an emotional crisis. With this painting, Munch met his stated goal of the study of the soul, that is to say the study of my own self. Munch wrote of how the painting came to be: I was walking down the road with two friends when the sun set; suddenly, the sky turned as red as blood. I stopped and leaned against the fence, feeling unspeakably tired. Tongues of fire and blood stretched over the bluish black fjord. My friends went on walking, while I lagged behind, shivering with fear. Then I heard the enormous, infinite scream of nature. He later described the personal anguish behind the painting. For several years I was almost mad. You know my picture, The Scream? I was stretched to the limit, nature was screaming in my blood After that I gave up hope ever of being able to love again. *

* GothicGirls Forum

Search:
topics replies

* GothicGirls

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits